The overall goal of the association is to improve the political, socio economic and socio- cultural situation of women in all spheres of the poverty reduction reduction endeavors undergoing in the region.
WAT has the following primary development objectives:
- To make the rural and urban members of the association participants and beneficiaries of the poverty alleviation endeavors of the region by building the existing capacity step by step and raise the decision making positions from 6.3% in 2002 to 30% at the end of 2008;
- To improve the livelihoods of women through diversifying their sources of incomes accompanied with skill training programs and credits from 2 months in 2002 to 7 months at the end of 2008;
- To upgrade the capacities and capabilities of women trough training programs from low levels in 2002 to increased levels at the end of 2008,
- To undertake organized resistance against the thoughts and actions that negatively influence the rights of members;
- To strengthen the independence of the association and mobilize new members to join and strengthen the organization through increasing the members from 400,000 in 2002 to 474,262 at the end of 2008;
- To make efforts that raise the participation and proportion of women in education programs both in quality as well as quantity from 48% in 2002 to 50% at the end of 2008;
- To undertake different development activities that enhance sources of income of the association; from 17 million Birr in 2002 to 49.2 million Birr at the end of 2008 so that it would be possible to plan and implement different programs and projects;
- To bring behavioral changes of members and their families on HIV/AIDS from 40% in 2002 to 80% at the end of 2008 so that to enable them to take appropriate measures against the prevalence;
- To improve general health situations through nutritional and health educations practices from 30% in 2002 to 55% at the end of 2008 and improve the practice of family planning in the local community from 12 % in 2002 to 30% at the end of 2008; and
- To improve the protection of the environment through women from low level in 2002 to improved levels at the end of 2008.